July 2019 update: ARCC is not currently accepting applications for Gap Instructors for the 2019 fall or 2020 spring season. ARCC will begin reviewing applications for fall 2020 in February, 2020.
ARCC GAP SEMESTER FIELD INSTRUCTOR
ARCC Programs is the leading provider of Adventure, Community Service, International Travel and Wilderness Travel programs for teenagers and young adults in the United States. ARCC Gap Semester programs offer an educational and cultural bridge between high school and college. The ARCC Gap Semester programs are an opportunity to live, work, learn and explore in some of the greatest classrooms on earth. ARCC Gap Semesters have a rich academic fabric complementing each location. Going beyond the weekend visit, students take the time to plant their feet in each location, becoming part of the community at large. Eating, sleeping and living among the local people, students are welcomed as friends. Working in partnership with area leaders, students pinpoint worthwhile service projects and collaborate with community members to achieve a common goal. Refurbishing a school, building a community center or working with orphans, hard work supplements their education, organized around five major themes including Literacy and Education, Public Health, Urbanization and the Movement of Peoples, Environment and Conservation, and Microfinance and Economic Growth. Students come away from their Gap Semester not only with memories that will last them a lifetime but also with skills and experience that will be invaluable in their future educational goals.
ARCC is looking for Instructors who are enthusiastic about working with students aged 17-20 and who have strong experience working with groups. ARCC Instructors provide an academic framework and structure relevant to their location, as well as teach the curriculum designed for each location and global theme. In addition, Instructors focus on fostering constructive group dynamics, implementing ARCC’s leadership progression, facilitating games, activities, and initiatives, overseeing outfitted activities, and ensuring that each person in the group is able to safely achieve goals consistent with his or her abilities. Two Instructors will guide a group of up to twelve students through rigorous international settings while facilitating academic curriculum. These semesters are both mentally and physically challenging for instructors and participants, with many unexpected obstacles and issues.
ARCC seeks Instructors who will be a positive influence on the participants, supporting them throughout the semester and creating a fun, safe, and supportive environment in which they can thrive. Our Instructors are not supervising each student 24 hours a day for the semester, but rather helping them develop their own comfort in each regional location, setting them up to achieve positive development in a safe environment.
- Travel logistics (including border crossings, money exchanges, etc.)
- Food buying and food management for group
- Management of group budget
- Organization of community service projects
- Facilitation of educational curriculum
- Troubleshooting cultural differences
- Being available to students 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to create and foster educational experiences
- Management of group safety
- Communication and updates with ARCC office
- Must possess at least a BA or BS degree
- Current certification in Wilderness First Responder (WFR, EMT, or WEMT)
- Excellent health and physical condition
- Prior experience leading programs for ARCC Programs (preferred)
- Basic proficiency in a relevant foreign language for Asia, East Africa, Himalaya and Pacific Islands (preferred, but not required)
- High intermediate to advanced fluency in Spanish (required for Latin America and New Frontiers)
- Preferred applicants are 24+ years old.
- Experience traveling in the developing world
- Experience leading groups (preferably ages 17-20)
- Demonstrated experience working with a co-leader
- Demonstrated experience facilitating educational curriculum at a high school level
- Experience leading volunteer groups
- Experience hosting discussion, debate, lecture, mediation or town council style meetings focused on controversial issues
- Professional, fun, motivated and enthusiastic individuals who are flexible and creative
- Preferred availability for Staff Training from June 14 – 21 & required for semester employment from September 3 through December 13 for fall Semester
Salary and Benefits
ARCC Instructors are contracted to lead a three-month-long semester program. The Instructor salary is competitive within the market. All living and travel expenses will be paid for while working for ARCC. Travel insurance and worker’s compensation will be provided for the duration of your program. We provide adequate professional and leadership development opportunities through our eight-day staff training course and six-day semester prep. We encourage instructors to take time off as needed throughout the semester as long as there is communication with the co-instructor and the office, as self-care is the most important way for instructors to give their best selves to their students and the experience. We ensure adequate co-instructors for all of our gap instructors, as well as opportunities for future employment given a successful semester. With our spring gap programs, custom program opportunities and summer trips, there are ample opportunities for nearly year-round employment. As we recognize that seasonal employment can be challenging to come by, we do everything we can to provide opportunities for our instructors in every season. In addition, we offer great pro-deals on outdoor equipment from many well-known manufacturers.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete the online application. You will be prompted to create an account to complete the online application. Upon completion of the application, you will be asked to upload your resume and a cover letter. You will also be given the opportunity to submit your references’ email addresses. Your resume, cover letter, and three references are required for a complete application.
If you are a return ARCC Summer Leader or have been hired as a Leader for this summer, we do not require a new online application or additional references. We do however require you to submit your Gap resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States.